Code of Ethics
- Promote informed choice for new mothers and their families during pregnancy, birth and early parenting
- Support you to birth and parent as you choose.
- Engage in ongoing learning and development, both as individuals and as a network.
- Work with honesty and integrity, according to our individual breadth of experience.
- Protect client/ doula confidentiality at all times.
- Work to support each other as women and as doulas.
- Encourage you to meet a few of our doulas and trust that you will find the one that feels right for your family and circumstances.
- We understand local maternity services and work to maintain positive relationships with midwives and doctors.
Interact with us
Welcome to the Scottish Doula Network
What is a doula?
A doula is someone who provides emotional and practical support to women, their partners and families before, during and after childbirth. She may offer suggestions and resources for further information but does not give advice, undertake any clinical tasks or make any medical decisions. She may facilitate communication between the mother or parents and other caregivers. She is chosen by the mother/couple and acts to support their birth experience and assist in their transition to parenthood. You can hire a doula prenatally, for your birth or postnatally.
To learn more about the evidence based benefits of a doula click here.